June 03, 2023
As a proud renter for many years, I've come to embrace the perks of not having to deal with the hassles of home maintenance. After all, it's not my problem when the bathroom starts leaking, or the gutters need a clean.
But let's face it, there are some downsides to renting too. If my space is only temporary, and I can't just start knocking down walls or ripping up the bathroom tiles without denting my wallet and sanity. So, how can renters spruce up our living spaces without going overboard? Here's a rundown of some clever decorating hacks that strike a balance between personalised and practical.
1. Upgrade Your Hardware Replacing old and tired hardware is a simple yet impactful move. Swapping out doorknobs, cabinet pulls, and even switch plates can breathe new life into your space. With just a screwdriver and a dose of creativity, you can give your furniture and rooms a fresh look that reflects your style.
2. Splash Some Colour with Paint Drowning in dull, uninspiring walls? A coat of paint can do wonders. Before you dive in, remember to ask your landlord for the green light, or take the "ask for forgiveness, not permission" approach. Just make sure to return the walls to their original colour before you move out.
3. Embrace Temporary Wallpaper Don't underestimate the charm of removable wallpaper. It's a game-changer when it comes to adding character to your rental. From creating focal points to dividing spaces, temporary wallpaper gives you the freedom to experiment without committing to a long-term look.
Removable wallpapers have come a long way and you can get some amazing designs. We have a 3.5m high abstract wallpaper going up our stairs which was remarkably easy to do (so much easier than paint!)
I am in love with these bold abstract prints by @TayBeepBoop
4. Dress Up Those Windows Replace bland blinds or curtains with window treatments that speak to your style. Curtains and shades can transform the atmosphere of a room and make your space feel like home. Bonus points if you go for blackout shades for extra privacy and sleep quality.
5. Shed Light on Your Style Lighting can make or break a room's ambiance. Replace outdated light fixtures to instantly elevate your space. If you're feeling confident, consider getting an electrician to help. Lighting has a huge impact and can be taken with you when you move.
6. Small Changes, Big Impact Sometimes, the smallest changes make the most significant difference. From replacing your toilet seat using command strips for hanging art, these small hacks can add up to create a more comfortable and stylish environment.
7. Transform Your Walls Rental walls often lack personality, but that's no reason to give up. Use tile tattoos to update your kitchen or bathroom, add temporary wallpaper for a unique touch, or create a feature wall using prints, plaques, hanging ornaments and picture hangers. We love these wall ideas from our customers:
8. Illuminate Your Space Don't settle for lacklustre lighting. LED candles, eye-level lights, light-reflecting mirrors, and string lights can all work wonders in creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
9. Elevate Your Stairways Often overlooked, stairways can be enhanced with stair stickers, temporary risers, and even washi tape picture frames. Adding some personality to this transitional space can make a big impact as shown by Lelloliving customer TerraceThirtyTwo:
10. Embrace the Gallery Wall Don't underestimate the power of a well-curated gallery wall. Select images, posters, or prints that resonate with you, and create an expressive arrangement that adds character to your home. We love these gallery walls of our French Animal and marine prints:
In a world of renting, where we can't tear down walls or make drastic changes, these decorating hacks offer a breath of fresh air. From quick fixes to transformative updates, there's no shortage of ways to make your temporary home feel uniquely yours. So, go ahead and inject your personal style into your space, all while keeping your landlord's peace of mind intact.
At Lelloliving, we've got a whole host of products, from handles, to hooks, to picture hangers and framed prints to help you get the most out of our rented space. Have a look around!
August 14, 2023
June 24, 2023